Whitefly pest problems

Author: Scott  

WHITEFLY TIPS

They Breed Quickly

- use sticky traps as an early warning and to slow their progress ($3 each or 4 for $10)

- If left alone they will lay lots of eggs today and they will hatch over the next few days

- They suck the sap out of the plant reducing the plants energy and also leave a sticky urine behind that causes damage to the plant

Spray with an Aerosol into the air.

- In the past we would spray a toxic chemical onto a plant so the insects would land on the leaves and die.

- Never use a household fly spray on plants - they can get very sick. Use plant based sprays.

- What we try to do now is spray something safe for plants

- but still avoid excess on the plant itself. You should be spraying the insects mainly.

- Spraying pesticides onto the plant can result in damage so don't be very concerned but avoid spraying it all over the plant

- Bug kill is an excellent product

- it's very safe for the plant also

- costs $8 a can

Shake the plant so the White fly are up and active

- They beat the air with their wings, and the tiny droplets of the aerosol that float in the air will be attracted to the static electricity of the insect flying.

- You won't have to use too much to get a big knockdown.

- The plants will only have a minimal amount of overspray

- and that's ok. Spray often

- once or twice a day

- Spraying once will kill only today's adults.

- As the eggs hatch you need to kill them before they lay more eggs.

- Within a couple of days you should see a good reduction.

- Keep an eye out for slow hatching eggs.

Whitefly leave a residue.

- This is their urine. it's sticky and can cause issues like mould or clog up leaves.

- Some growers will use a drop of dishwashing detergent and some water and spray it onto the plants to unclog the plant.

- If you do spray a plant with detergent like this, do so before end of the daylight/ light cycle. This will allow the fluid to evaporate overnight.

- Dishwashing detergent is ok for plants in small amounts

- avoid too much or you will get lots of foam. It's mostly phosphorus and non-toxic to humans as well. Perfumes in the detergent may have an oil base but you'd need to use half a bottle for it to be an issue.


Leave a comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up