Why Use Air Pruning pots? Well air pruning pots have many advantages
- Excellent drainage - more difficult to overwater
- Larger root mass - while roots grow arond and around in a plastic or ceramic pot, the air at the edge of the fabric causes a root tip to dry out, and die off. Just like pruning the top of the plants, the roots will branch into many smaller roots because of "air-pruning". The mass is larger and made of more smaller more effective roots.
- Higher oxygenation to the roots
- Easy to store when not in use
- encourages aerobic bacteria/microbes
- Evaporation may reduce root zone temperatures (its a plus/negative sort of thing as the pot will dry out more)
Its definitely worth running a side by side comparison. The only negative is
- the same amount of media in a standard plastic pot will usually hold more water. So having the next pot size up and more media by increasing the size of the pot may be best for air-pruning and fabric pot growers who can't water a lot.
- 21 Ltr
- 28 Ltr
- 50 Ltr
- 113 Ltr