Fabric pots and Geopots
Why Use Fabric pots? Well fabric pots have many advantages
- Excellent drainage - more difficult to overwater
- Larger root mass - while roots grow arond and around in a plastic or ceramic pot, the air at the edge of the fabric causes a root tip to dry out, and die off. Just like pruning the top of the plants, the roots will branch into many smaller roots because of "air-pruning". The mass is larger and made of more smaller more effective roots.
- Higher oxygenation to the roots Easy to store encourages aerobic bacteria/microbes
- Evaporation may reduce root zone temperatures (its a plus/negative sort of thing as the pot will dry out more) Its definitely worth running a side by side comparison.
- The only negative is the same amount of media in a plastic pot will usually hold more water. So having more media by increasing the size of the pot may be best for fabric pot growers.